Meaning of harp
Pronunciation: (härp), [key]
- a musical instrument consisting of a triangular frame formed by a soundbox, a pillar, and a curved neck, and having strings stretched between the soundbox and the neck that are plucked with the fingers.
- anything that resembles this instrument, esp. in having a row of parallel strings or wires, as various mechanical devices or kitchen implements for slicing cheese.
- a vertical metal frame shaped to bend around the bulb in a standing lamp and used to support a lamp shade.
- . a person of Irish birth or descent.
- Also calledany of several English coins issued for use in Ireland during the 16th and 17th centuries, bearing the figure of a harp on the reverse.
- a mouth harp; harmonica.
- to play on a harp.
- to dwell on persistently or tediously in speaking or writing: He was always harping on the importance of taking vitamin supplements.
- harp (Thesaurus)