guess: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ges), [key]
- to arrive at or commit oneself to an opinion about (something) without having sufficient evidence to support the opinion fully: to guess a person's weight.
- to estimate or conjecture about correctly: to guess what a word means.
- to think, believe, or suppose: I guess I can get there in time.
- to form an estimate or conjecture (often fol. by at or about): We guessed at the weight of the package.
- to estimate or conjecture correctly.
- an opinion that one reaches or to which one commits oneself on the basis of probability alone or in the absence of any evidence whatever.
- the act of forming such an opinion: to take a guess at someone's weight.
- using a combination of guesswork and reliance on luck; hit or miss.
- guess (Thesaurus)