- 1. guess, conjecture, supposition, surmise, surmisal, speculation, hypothesis, opinion, view
- usage: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- 2. guess, guesswork, guessing, shot, dead reckoning, estimate, estimation, approximation, idea
- usage: an estimate based on little or no information
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. think, opine, suppose, imagine, reckon, guess, expect, anticipate
- usage: expect, believe, or suppose; "I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"; "I thought to find her in a bad state"; "he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"; "I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- 2. guess, venture, pretend, hazard, speculate
- usage: put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation; "I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again"; "I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong"
- 3. estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge, calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
- usage: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
- 4. guess, infer, solve, work out, figure out, puzzle out, lick, work
- usage: guess correctly; solve by guessing; "He guessed the right number of beans in the jar and won the prize"
All rights reserved.
See also: guess (Dictionary)