Meaning of fourth
Pronunciation: (fôrth, fōrth), [key]
- next after the third; being the ordinal number for four.
- being one of four equal parts.
- of, pertaining to, or operating at the gear transmission ratio at which the drive shaft speed is greater than that of third gear for a given engine crankshaft speed, but not so great as that of fifth gear, if such exists: fourth gear.
- a fourth part, esp. of one ().
- the fourth member of a series.
- a tone on the fourth degree from a given tone (counted as the first).
- the interval between such tones.
- the harmonic combination of such tones.
- fourth gear: She downshifted from fifth to fourth as we started up the hill.
- (cap.) Independence Day; the Fourth of July (usually prec. by the).
- in the fourth place; fourthly.
- fourth (Thesaurus)