format: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fôr'mat), [key]
— n., v., -mat•ted, -mat•ting.
- the shape and size of a book as determined by the number of times the original sheet has been folded to form the leaves. Cf. duodecimo, folio (def. 2),
- the general physical appearance of a book, magazine, or newspaper, such as the typeface, binding, quality of paper, margins, etc.
- the organization, plan, style, or type of something: The format of the show allowed for topical and controversial gags.
- the arrangement of data for computer input or output, such as the number and size of fields in a record or the spacing and punctuation of information in a report.
- to plan or provide a format for: to format the annual telethon.
- Some word-processing programs format output in a variety of ways.
- to set the format of (input or output):Some word-processing programs format output in a variety of ways.
- to prepare (a disk) for writing and reading.
- to devise a format.
- format (Thesaurus)