flutter: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (flut'ur), [key]
- to wave, flap, or toss about: Banners fluttered in the breeze.
- to flap the wings rapidly; fly with flapping movements.
- to move in quick, irregular motions; vibrate.
- to beat rapidly, as the heart.
- to be tremulous or agitated.
- to go with irregular motions or aimless course: to flutter back and forth.
- to cause to flutter; vibrate; agitate.
- to throw into nervous or tremulous excitement; cause mental agitation; confuse.
- a fluttering movement: He made little nervous flutters with his hands.
- a state of nervous excitement or mental agitation: a flutter of anticipation.
- a variation in pitch resulting from rapid fluctuations in the speed of a recording. Cf. wow (def. 1).
- a small wager or speculative investment.
- flutter (Thesaurus)