- 1. waver, flutter, flicker, motion, movement, move, motility
- usage: the act of moving back and forth
- 2. flutter, cardiac arrhythmia, arrhythmia
- usage: abnormally rapid beating of the auricles of the heart (especially in a regular rhythm); can result in heart block
- 3. disturbance, disruption, commotion, flutter, hurly burly, to-do, hoo-ha, hoo-hah, kerfuffle, disorder
- usage: a disorderly outburst or tumult; "they were amazed by the furious disturbance they had caused"
- 4. flap, flapping, flutter, fluttering, wave, undulation
- usage: the motion made by flapping up and down
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. flit, flutter, fleet, dart, travel rapidly, speed, hurry, zip
- usage: move along rapidly and lightly; skim or dart; "The hummingbird flitted among the branches"
- 2. flicker, waver, flitter, flutter, quiver, move back and forth
- usage: move back and forth very rapidly; "the candle flickered"
- 3. flutter, beat, flap
- usage: flap the wings rapidly or fly with flapping movements; "The seagulls fluttered overhead"
- 4. palpitate, flutter, beat, pound, thump
- usage: beat rapidly; "His heart palpitated"
- 5. bat, flutter, blink, wink, nictitate, nictate
- usage: wink briefly; "bat one's eyelids"
All rights reserved.
See also: flutter (Dictionary)