finish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fin'ish), [key]
- to bring (something) to an end or to completion; complete: to finish a novel; to finish breakfast.
- to come to the end of (a course, period of time, etc.): to finish school.
- to use completely (often fol. by up or off): to finish up a can of paint; to finish off the rest of the milk.
- to overcome completely; destroy or kill (often fol. by off): This spray will finish off the cockroaches.
- to complete and perfect in detail; put the final touches on (sometimes fol. by up): He decided to finish his plan more carefully. She finished up a painting.
- to put a finish on (wood, metal, etc.): We finished the desk in antique red lacquer.
- to perfect (a person) in education, accomplishments, social graces, etc.
- to ready (livestock) for market by feeding a diet calculated to produce the desired weight.
- to come to an end: The course finishes in January.
- to complete a course, project, etc. (sometimes fol. by up): I finished before he did. It was nine o'clock when we finished up.
- (of livestock) to become fattened for market.
- She's finished with her latest novel.
- to bring to completion:She's finished with her latest novel.
- to put aside, break all relations with, or reject finally:He's finished with football and will play only baseball now. After the way they treated us, we're finished with them.
- the end or conclusion; the final part or last stage.
- the end of a hunt, race, etc.: a close finish.
- a decisive ending: a fight to the finish.
- the quality of being finished or completed with smoothness, elegance, etc.: to admire the finish of one's writing.
- educational or social polish.
- the manner in which an object is perfected or finished in its preparation, or an effect imparted in finishing.
- the surface coating or texture of wood, metal, etc.
- something used or serving to finish, complete, or perfect a thing.
- woodwork or the like, esp. in the interior of a building, not essential to the structure but used for purposes of ornament, neatness, etc.: a finish of black walnut.
- a final coat of plaster or paint.
- a material for application in finishing.
- the fat tissue of livestock.
- the flavor remaining in the mouth after a wine has been swallowed.
- finish (Thesaurus)