fare: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fâr), [key]
— n., v., fared, far•ing.
- the price of conveyance or passage in a bus, train, airplane, or other vehicle.
- a person or persons who pay to be conveyed in a vehicle; paying passenger.
- a person who hires a public vehicle and its driver.
- food; diet: hearty fare.
- something offered to the public, for entertainment, enjoyment, consumption, etc.: literary fare.
- state of things.
- to experience good or bad fortune, treatment, etc.; get on: He fared well in his profession.
- to go; turn out; happen (used impersonally): It fared ill with him.
- to go; travel.
- to eat and drink: They fared sumptuously.
- fare (Thesaurus)