Meaning of extinction
Pronunciation: (ik-stingk'shun), [key]
- the act of extinguishing.
- the fact or condition of being extinguished or extinct.
- suppression; abolition; annihilation: the extinction of an army.
- the act or process of becoming extinct; a coming to an end or dying out: the extinction of a species.
- the reduction or loss of a conditioned response as a result of the absence or withdrawal of reinforcement.
- the diminution in the intensity of starlight caused by absorption as it passes through the earth's atmosphere or through interstellar dust.
- the darkness that results from rotation of a thin section to an angleat which plane-polarized light is absorbed by the polarizer.
- extinction (Thesaurus)