expect: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ik-spekt'), [key]
- to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of: I expect to read it. I expect him later. She expects that they will come.
- to look for with reason or justification: We expect obedience.
- to suppose or surmise; guess: I expect that you are tired from the trip.
- to anticipate the birth of (one's child): Paul and Sylvia expect their second very soon.
- to be pregnant: The cat is expecting again.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.