excess: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (n.ik-ses', ek'sesadj., v.ek'ses, ik-ses'), [key]
- the fact of exceeding something else in amount or degree: His strength is in excess of yours.
- the amount or degree by which one thing exceeds another: The bill showed an excess of several hundred dollars over the estimate.
- an extreme or excessive amount or degree; superabundance: to have an excess of energy.
- a going beyond what is regarded as customary or proper: to talk to excess.
- immoderate indulgence; intemperance in eating, drinking, etc.
- more than or above what is necessary, usual, or specified; extra: a charge for excess baggage; excess profits.
- to dismiss, demote, transfer, or furlough (an employee), esp. as part of a mass layoff.
- excess (Thesaurus)