- 1. excess, surplus, surplusage, nimiety, overabundance, overmuch, overmuchness, superabundance
- usage: a quantity much larger than is needed
- 2. excess, excessiveness, inordinateness, immoderation, immoderateness
- usage: immoderation as a consequence of going beyond sufficient or permitted limits
- 3. surfeit, excess, overabundance, fullness
- usage: the state of being more than full
- 4. overindulgence, excess, indulgence, indulging, pampering, humoring
- usage: excessive indulgence; "the child was spoiled by overindulgence"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. excess, extra, redundant, spare, supererogatory, superfluous, supernumerary, surplus, unnecessary (vs. necessary), unneeded
- usage: more than is needed, desired, or required; "trying to lose excess weight"; "found some extra change lying on the dresser"; "yet another book on heraldry might be thought redundant"; "skills made redundant by technological advance"; "sleeping in the spare room"; "supernumerary ornamentation"; "it was supererogatory of her to gloat"; "delete superfluous (or unnecessary) words"; "extra ribs as well as other supernumerary internal parts"; "surplus cheese distributed to the needy"
All rights reserved.
See also: excess (Dictionary)