Meaning of establishment
Pronunciation: (i-stab'lish-munt), [key]
- the act or an instance of establishing.
- the state or fact of being established.
- something established; a constituted order or system.
- (often cap.) the existing power structure in society; the dominant groups in society and their customs or institutions; institutional authority (usually prec. by the): The Establishment believes exploring outer space is worth any tax money spent.
- (often cap.) the dominant group in a field of endeavor, organization, etc. (usually prec. by the): the literary Establishment.
- a household; place of residence including its furnishings, grounds, etc.
- a place of business together with its employees, merchandise, equipment, etc.
- a permanent civil, military, or other force or organization.
- an institution, as a school, hospital, etc.
- the recognition by a state of a church as the state church.
- the church so recognized, esp. the Church of England.
- a fixed or settled income.
- establishment (Thesaurus)