Meaning of equivalent
Pronunciation: (i-kwiv'u-lunt or, for 5, ē"kwu-vā'lunt), [key]
- equal in value, measure, force, effect, significance, etc.: His silence is equivalent to an admission of guilt.
- corresponding in position, function, etc.: In some ways their prime minister is equivalent to our president.
- having the same extent, as a triangle and a square of equal area.
- (of two sets) able to be placed in one-to-one correspondence.
- having the same capacity to combine or react chemically.
- something that is equivalent.
- equivalent (Thesaurus)