edit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ed'it), [key]
- to supervise or direct the preparation of (a newspaper, magazine, book, etc.); serve as editor of; direct the editorial policies of.
- to collect, prepare, and arrange (materials) for publication.
- to revise or correct, as a manuscript.
- to expunge; eliminate (often fol. by out): The author has edited out all references to his own family.
- to add (usually fol. by in).
- to prepare (motion-picture film, video or magnetic tape) by deleting, arranging, and splicing, by synchronizing the sound record with the film, etc.
- to alter the arrangement of (genes).
- to modify or add to (data or text).
- an instance of or the work of editing: automated machinery that allows a rapid edit of incoming news.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.