Meaning of east
Pronunciation: (ēst), [key]
- a cardinal point of the compass, 90° to the right of north. Abbr: E
- the direction in which this point lies.
- (usually cap.) a quarter or territory situated in this direction.
- the parts of Asia collectively lying east of Europe and including Asia Minor, Syria, Arabia, India, China, etc.; the Orient.
- the Far East.
- (formerly) the Soviet Union and its allies.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Mississippi River.
- the part of the U.S. east of the Allegheny Mountains.
- New England.
- Ancient and Medieval Hist.the Eastern Roman Empire.
- directed or proceeding toward the east.
- coming from the east: an east wind.
- lying toward or situated in the east: the east side.
- being at the end of the church where the high altar is: an east window.
- to, toward, or in the east: an island located east of Sumatra; He went east.
- east (Thesaurus)