Meaning of dumb
Pronunciation: (dum), [key]
— -er, -est.
- lacking intelligence or good judgment; stupid; dull-witted.
- lacking the power of speech (often offensive when applied to humans): a dumb animal.
- temporarily unable to speak: dumb with astonishment.
- refraining from any or much speech; silent.
- made, done, etc., without speech.
- lacking some usual property, characteristic, etc.
- performed in pantomime; mimed.
- pertaining to the inability to do processing locally:Cf. intelligent (def. 4). A dumb terminal can input, output, and display data, but cannot process it.
- (of a barge) without means of propulsion.
- (of any craft) without means of propulsion, steering, or signaling.
- dumb (Thesaurus)