Meaning of distribute
Pronunciation: (di-strib'yt), [key]
— -ut•ed, -ut•ing.
- to divide and give out in shares; deal out; allot.
- to disperse through a space or over an area; spread; scatter.
- to promote, sell, and ship or deliver (an item or line of merchandise) to individual customers, esp. in a specified region or area.
- to pass out or deliver (mail, newspapers, etc.) to intended recipients.
- to divide into distinct phases: The process was distributed into three stages.
- to divide into classes: These plants are distributed into 22 classes.
- to employ (a term) in a proposition so as to refer to all individuals denoted by the term.
- to dissolve uniformly in a solvent consisting of layers of immiscible or partially miscible substances.
- to roll out (ink) on the table to attain the proper consistency.
- to return (type) to the proper place after printing.
- distribute (Thesaurus)