dispersion: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-spûr'zhun, -shun), [key]
- an act, state, or instance of dispersing or of being dispersed.
- the variation of the index of refraction of a transparent substance, as glass, with the wavelength of light, with the index of refraction increasing as the wavelength decreases.
- the separation of white or compound light into its respective colors, as in the formation of a spectrum by a prism.
- the scattering of values of a variable around the mean or median of a distribution.
- a scattered pattern of hits of bombs dropped under identical conditions or of shots fired from the same gun with the same firing data.
- Also calleda system of dispersed particles suspended in a solid, liquid, or gas.
- (cap.) Diaspora (def. 1).
- dispersion (Thesaurus)