differential: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (dif"u-ren'shul), [key]
- of or pertaining to difference or diversity.
- constituting a difference; distinguishing; distinctive: a differential feature.
- exhibiting or depending upon a difference or distinction.
- pertaining to or involving the difference of two or more motions, forces, etc.
- pertaining to or involving a derivative or derivatives.
- a difference or the amount of difference, as in rate, cost, quantity, degree, or quality, between things that are comparable.
- Also calledan epicyclic train of gears designed to permit two or more shafts to rotate at different speeds, as a set of gears in an automobile permitting the rear wheels to be driven at different speeds when the car is turning.
- a function of two variables that is obtained from a given function, y = f(x), and that expresses the approximate increment in the given function as the derivative of the function times the increment in the independent variable, written as dy = f′(x)dx.
- any generalization of this function to higher dimensions.
- the difference involved in a differential rate.
- Seedifferential rate.
- the quantitative difference between two or more forces, motions, etc.: a pressure differential.
- differential (Thesaurus)