device: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-v?s'), [key]
- a thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, esp. a mechanical or electrical one.
- a plan or scheme for effecting a purpose.
- a crafty scheme; trick.
- a particular word pattern, figure of speech, combination of word sounds, etc., used in a literary work to evoke a desired effect or arouse a desired reaction in the reader: rhetorical devices.
- something elaborately or fancifully designed.
- a representation or design used as a heraldic charge or as an emblem, badge, trademark, or the like.
- a motto.
- devising; invention.
- device (Thesaurus)