determine: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-tûr'min), [key]
— v., -mined, -min•ing.
- to settle or decide (a dispute, question, etc.) by an authoritative or conclusive decision.
- to conclude or ascertain, as after reasoning, observation, etc.
- to fix the position of.
- to cause, affect, or control; fix or decide causally: Demand for a product usually determines supply.
- to give direction or tendency to; impel.
- to limit (a notion) by adding differentiating characteristics.
- to put an end to; terminate.
- to lead or bring (a person) to a decision.
- to decide upon.
- to come to a decision or resolution; decide.
- to come to an end.
- determine (Thesaurus)