WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. determine, find, find out, ascertain
- usage: establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study; "find the product of two numbers"; "The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
- 2. determine, shape, mold, influence, regulate, cause, do, make
- usage: shape or influence; give direction to; "experience often determines ability"; "mold public opinion"
- 3. determine, set
- usage: fix conclusively or authoritatively; "set the rules"
- 4. specify, set, determine, define, fix, limit, choose, take, select, pick out
- usage: decide upon or fix definitely; "fix the variables"; "specify the parameters"
- 5. decide, make up one's mind, determine
- usage: reach, make, or come to a decision about something; "We finally decided after lengthy deliberations"
- 6. determine, specify, define, delineate, delimit, delimitate
- usage: fix in scope; fix the boundaries of; "the tree determines the border of the property"
- 7. settle, square off, square up, determine, conclude, resolve
- usage: settle conclusively; come to terms; "We finally settled the argument"
- 8. determine, check, find out, see, ascertain, watch, learn
- usage: find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort; "I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
All rights reserved.
See also: determine (Dictionary)