Meaning of deposition
Pronunciation: (dep"u-zish'un, dē"pu-), [key]
- removal from an office or position.
- the act or process of depositing: deposition of the documents with the Library of Congress.
- the state of being deposited or precipitated: deposition of soil at the mouth of a river.
- something that is deposited.
- the giving of testimony under oath.
- the testimony so given.
- a statement under oath, taken down in writing, to be used in court in place of the spoken testimony of the witness.
- the interment of the body of a saint.
- the reinterment of the body or the relics of a saint.
- (cap.) a work of art depicting Christ being lowered from the Cross.
- deposition (Thesaurus)