cup: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kup), [key]
— n., v., cupped, cup•ping.
- a small, open container made of china, glass, metal, etc., usually having a handle and used chiefly as a receptable from which to drink tea, soup, etc.
- the bowllike part of a goblet or the like.
- a cup with its contents.
- the quantity contained in a cup.
- a unit of capacity, equal to 8 fluid ounces (237 milliliters) or 16 tablespoons; half-pint.
- an ornamental bowl, vase, etc., esp. of precious metal, offered as a prize for a contest.
- any of various beverages, as a mixture of wine and various ingredients: claret cup.
- the chalice used in the Eucharist.
- the wine of the Eucharist.
- something to be partaken of or endured; one's portion, as of joy or suffering.
- the drinking of intoxicating liquors.
- any cuplike utensil, organ, part, cavity, etc.
- either of the two forms that cover and usually support the breasts in a brassiere or other garment, as a bathing suit.
- an athletic supporter reinforced with rigid plastic or metal for added protection.
- the metal receptacle within the hole.
- the hole itself.
- (cap.)the constellation Crater.
- a cylindrical shell closed at one end, esp. one produced in the first stages of a deep-drawing operation.
- the cuplike symbol ∪, used to indicate the union of two sets. Cf. union (def. 10a).
- intoxicated; drunk.
- to take or place in, or as in, a cup: He cupped his ear with the palm of his hand.
- to form into a cuplike shape: He cupped his hands.
- to use a cupping glass on.
- to form (tubing, containers, etc.) by punching hot strip or sheet metal and drawing it through a die. Cf. deep-draw.
- cup (Thesaurus)