- 1. cup, crockery, dishware, container
- usage: a small open container usually used for drinking; usually has a handle; "he put the cup back in the saucer"; "the handle of the cup was missing"
- 2. cup, cupful, containerful
- usage: the quantity a cup will hold; "he drank a cup of coffee"; "he borrowed a cup of sugar"
- 3. cup, concave shape, concavity, incurvation, incurvature
- usage: any cup-shaped concavity; "bees filled the waxen cups with honey"; "he wore a jock strap with a metal cup"; "the cup of her bra"
- 4. cup, United States liquid unit
- usage: a United States liquid unit equal to 8 fluid ounces
- 5. cup, plant organ
- usage: cup-shaped plant organ
- 6. cup, punch
- usage: a punch served in a pitcher instead of a punch bowl
- 7. cup, hole
- usage: the hole (or metal container in the hole) on a golf green; "he swore as the ball rimmed the cup and rolled away"; "put the flag back in the cup"
- 8. cup, loving cup, trophy, prize
- usage: a large metal vessel with two handles that is awarded as a trophy to the winner of a competition; "the school kept the cups is a special glass case"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. cup, shape, form
- usage: form into the shape of a cup; "She cupped her hands"
- 2. cup, insert, enclose, inclose, stick in, put in, introduce
- usage: put into a cup; "cup the milk"
- 3. cup, transfuse, treat, care for
- usage: treat by applying evacuated cups to the patient's skin
All rights reserved.
See also: cup (Dictionary)