crest: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (krest), [key]
- the highest part of a hill or mountain range; summit.
- the head or top of anything.
- a ridge or ridgelike formation.
- the foamy top of a wave.
- the point of highest flood, as of a river.
- the highest point or level; climax; culmination.
- a tuft or other natural growth on the top of the head of an animal, as the comb of a rooster.
- anything resembling or suggesting such a tuft.
- the ridge of the neck of a horse, dog, etc.
- the mane growing from this ridge.
- an ornament or heraldic device surmounting a helmet.
- a helmet.
- a ridge running from front to back along the top of a helmet; comb.
- a figure borne above the escutcheon in an achievement of arms, either on a helmet or by itself as a distinguishing device. See illus. under
- a ridge, esp. on a bone.
- a ridge or other prominence on any part of the body of an animal.
- a cresting.
- (in a screw or other threaded object) the ridge or surface farthest from the body of the object and defined by the flanks of the thread. Cf. root (def. 14a).
- to furnish with a crest.
- to serve as a crest for; crown or top.
- to reach the crest or summit of (a hill, mountain, etc.).
- to form or rise to a crest, as a wave or river.
- to reach the crest or highest level: Interest in the project has crested.
- crest (Thesaurus)