couple: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kup'ul), [key]
— n., v., -pled, -pling.
- two of the same sort considered together; pair.
- two persons considered as joined together, as a married or engaged pair, lovers, or dance partners: They make a handsome couple.
- any two persons considered together.
- a pair of equal, parallel forces acting in opposite directions and tending to produce rotation.
- Also calleda pair of rafters connected by a tie beam or collar beam.
- a leash for holding two hounds together.
- two hounds: 25 hounds or 1212 couple.
- more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.
- to fasten, link, or associate together in a pair or pairs.
- to join; connect.
- to unite in marriage or in sexual union.
- to join or associate by means of a coupler.
- to bring (two electric circuits or circuit components) close enough to permit an exchange of electromagnetic energy.
- to join in a pair; unite.
- to copulate.
- couple (Thesaurus)