core: Meaning and Definition of
— n., v., cored, cor•ing.
- the central part of a fleshy fruit, containing the seeds.
- the central, innermost, or most essential part of anything.
- Also calledthe piece of iron, bundle of iron wires, or other ferrous material forming the central or inner portion in an electromagnet, induction coil, transformer, or the like. See diag. under
- (in mining, geology, etc.) a cylindrical sample of earth, mineral, or rock extracted from the ground by means of a corer so that the strata are undisturbed in the sample.
- the inside wood of a tree.
- a lump of stone, as flint, from which prehistoric humans struck flakes in order to make tools. Cf. flake tool.
- a thickness of wood forming a base for a veneer.
- a wooden construction, as in a door, forming a backing for veneers.
- a thickness of base metal beneath a cladding.
- the softer interior of a piece of casehardened metal.
- a specially formed refractory object inserted into a mold to produce cavities or depressions in the casting that cannot be readily formed on the pattern.
- the central portion of the earth, having a radius of about 2100 mi. (3379 km) and believed to be composed mainly of iron and nickel in a molten state. Cf. crust (def. 6),(def. 3).
- the region in a reactor that contains its fissionable material.
- Also calleda small ring or loop of ferromagnetic material with two states of polarization that can be changed by changing the direction of the current applied in wires wound around the ring, used to store one bit of information or to perform switching or logical functions.
- heart (def. 16).
- the final segment of a syllable beginning with the vowel and including any following consonants; the nucleus plus the coda. Cf. onset (def. 3).
- to remove the core of (fruit).
- to cut from the central part.
- to remove (a cylindrical sample) from the interior, as of the earth or a tree trunk: to core the ocean bottom.
- to form a cavity in (a molded object) by placing a core, as of sand, in the mold before pouring.
— n. Chiefly Scot.
- a small company or group of people, esp. a gang of miners or a small corps of workers.
Pronunciation: (kôr'ē, kōr'ē), [key]
- Congress of Racial Equality.
- core (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.