- 1. core, nucleus, core group, set
- usage: a small group of indispensable persons or things; "five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program"
- 2. core, center, centre, midpoint
- usage: the center of an object; "the ball has a titanium core"
- 3. core, center, centre, midpoint
- usage: the central part of the Earth
- 4. kernel, substance, core, center, centre, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty, content, cognitive content, mental object
- usage: the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
- 5. core, sample
- usage: a cylindrical sample of soil or rock obtained with a hollow drill
- 6. Congress of Racial Equality, CORE, nongovernmental organization, NGO
- usage: an organization founded by James Leonard Farmer in 1942 to work for racial equality
- 7. effect, essence, burden, core, gist, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
- 8. core, magnetic core, torus, toroid
- usage: (computer science) a tiny ferrite toroid formerly used in a random access memory to store one bit of data; now superseded by semiconductor memories; "each core has three wires passing through it, providing the means to select and detect the contents of each bit"
- 9. core, chamber
- usage: the chamber of a nuclear reactor containing the fissile material where the reaction takes place
- 10. core, bar
- usage: a bar of magnetic material (as soft iron) that passes through a coil and serves to increase the inductance of the coil
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. core, hollow, hollow out, core out
- usage: remove the core or center from; "core an apple"
All rights reserved.
See also: core (Dictionary)