Meaning of consequence
Pronunciation: (kon'si-kwens", -kwuns), [key]
- the effect, result, or outcome of something occurring earlier: The accident was the consequence of reckless driving.
- an act or instance of following something as an effect, result, or outcome.
- the conclusion reached by a line of reasoning; inference.
- importance or significance: a matter of no consequence.
- importance in rank or position; distinction: a man of great consequence in art.
- consequently; as a result; hence: He withdrew from the world, and in consequence was forgotten.
- as a result of; on account of: A trial was held in consequence of the investigation.
- consequence (Thesaurus)