Meaning of congregation
Pronunciation: (kong"gri-gā'shun), [key]
- an assembly of persons brought together for common religious worship.
- the act of congregating or the state of being congregated.
- a gathered or assembled body; assemblage.
- an organization formed for the purpose of providing for worship of God, for religious education, and for other church activities; a local church society.
- the people of Israel. Ex. 12:3,6; Lev. 4:13.
- the Christian church in general.
- a committee of cardinals or other ecclesiastics.
- a community of men or women, either with or without vows, observing a common rule.
- (at English universities) the general assembly of the doctors, fellows, etc.
- (in colonial North America) a parish, town, plantation, or other settlement.
- congregation (Thesaurus)