Meaning of composition
Pronunciation: (kom"pu-zish'un), [key]
- the act of combining parts or elements to form a whole.
- the resulting state or product.
- manner of being composed; structure: This painting has an orderly composition.
- makeup; constitution: His moral composition was impeccable.
- an aggregate material formed from two or more substances: a composition of silver and tin.
- a short essay written as a school exercise.
- the act or process of producing a literary work.
- an academic course for teaching the techniques of clear, expository writing.
- the art of putting words and sentences together in accordance with the rules of grammar and rhetoric.
- a piece of music.
- the art of composing music.
- the organization or grouping of the different parts of a work of art so as to achieve a unified whole.
- the formation of compounds or derivatives: the composition of “aircraft” from “air” and “craft.”
- a settlement by mutual agreement.
- an agreement or compromise, esp. one by which a creditor or group of creditors accepts partial payment from a debtor.
- a sum of money so paid.
- the setting up of type for printing.
- Also calledpagination.the makeup of pages for printing.
- the process of making a composite function of two given functions.
- composition (Thesaurus)