comparison: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kum-par'u-sun), [key]
- the act of comparing.
- the state of being compared.
- a likening; illustration by similitude; comparative estimate or statement.
- the considering of two things with regard to some characteristic that is common to both, as the likening of a hero to a lion in courage.
- capability of being compared or likened.
- the function of an adverb or adjective that is used to indicate degrees of superiority or inferiority in quality, quantity, or intensity.
- the patterns of formation involved therein.
- the degrees of a particular word, displayed in a fixed order, as mild, milder, mildest, less mild, least mild.
- comparison (Thesaurus)