Meaning of community
Pronunciation: (ku-my'ni-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- a social group of any size whose members reside in a specific locality, share government, and often have a common cultural and historical heritage.
- a locality inhabited by such a group.
- a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists (usually prec. by the): the business community; the community of scholars.
- a group of associated nations sharing common interests or a common heritage: the community of Western Europe.
- a group of men or women leading a common life according to a rule.
- an assemblage of interacting populations occupying a given area.
- joint possession, enjoyment, liability, etc.: community of property.
- similar character; agreement; identity: community of interests.
- the public; society: the needs of the community.
- community (Thesaurus)