Meaning of commander
Pronunciation: (ku-man'dur, -män'-), [key]
- a person who commands.
- a person who exercises authority; chief officer; leader.
- the commissioned officer in command of a military unit.
- an officer ranking below a captain and above a lieutenant commander.
- a police officer in charge of a precinct or other unit.
- the chief officer of a commandery in the medieval orders of Knights Hospitalers, Knights Templars, and others.
- a member of one of the higher classes or ranks in certain modern fraternal orders, as in the Knights Templars.
- commander (Thesaurus)