Meaning of city
Pronunciation: (sit'ē), [key]
— pl. cit•ies.
- a large or important town.
- (in the U.S.) an incorporated municipality, usually governed by a mayor and a board of aldermen or councilmen.
- the inhabitants of a city collectively: The entire city is mourning his death.
- (in Canada) a municipality of high rank, usually based on population.
- (in Great Britain) a borough, usually the seat of a bishop, upon which the dignity of the title has been conferred by the crown.
- I'm going to the City to buy clothes and see a show.
- the major metropolitan center of a region; downtown:I'm going to the City to buy clothes and see a show.
- the commercial and financial area of London, England.
- a city-state.
- (often cap.)a place, person, or situation having certain features or characteristics (used in combination): The party last night was Action City. That guy is dull city.
- city (Thesaurus)