chestnut: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ches'nut", -nut), [key]
- any of the several deciduous trees constituting the genus Castanea, of the beech family, having toothed, oblong leaves and bearing edible nuts enclosed in a prickly bur, and including C. dentatawhich has been virtually destroyed by the chestnut blight, C. sativaC. mollissimaand C. crenata
- the edible nut of such a tree.
- the wood of any of these trees.
- any fruit or tree resembling the chestnut, as the horse chestnut.
- reddish brown.
- an old or stale joke, anecdote, etc.
- the callosity on the inner side of the leg of a horse. See diag. under
- a reddish-brown horse having the mane and tail of the same color. Cf. bay (def. 2).
- Also calleda horse of a solid, dark-brown color.
- to rescue someone from a difficulty.
- (of food) containing or made with chestnuts: turkey with chestnut stuffing.
- chestnut (Thesaurus)