Meaning of caste
Pronunciation: (kast, käst), [key]
- an endogamous and hereditary social group limited to persons of the same rank, occupation, economic position, etc., and having mores distinguishing it from other such groups.
- any rigid system of social distinctions.
- any of the social divisions into which Hindu society is traditionally divided, each caste having its own privileges and limitations, transferred by inheritance from one generation to the next; jati. Cf. class. (def. 13).
- any class or group of society sharing common cultural features: low caste; high caste.
- social position conferred upon one by a caste system: to lose caste.
- one of the distinct forms among polymorphous social insects, performing a specialized function in the colony, as a queen, worker or soldier.
- of, pertaining to, or characterized by caste: a caste society; a caste system; a caste structure.
- caste (Thesaurus)