Meaning of captain
Pronunciation: (kap'tun, -tin), [key]
- a person who is at the head of or in authority over others; chief; leader.
- an officer ranking in most armies above a first lieutenant and below a major.
- an officer in the U.S. Navy ranking above a commander and below a rear admiral or a commodore.
- a military leader.
- an officer in the police department, ranking above a lieutenant and usually below an inspector.
- an officer of the fire department, usually in command of a company, ranking above a lieutenant and below a chief or assistant chief.
- the commander of a merchant vessel. Cf.
- the pilot of an airplane.
- a local official in a political party responsible for organizing votes on a ward or precinct level.
- the field leader of a team: The captain of the home team elected to receive on the kickoff.
- a person of great power and influence, esp. based on economic wealth.
- an unofficial title of respect for a man (sometimes used humorously or ironically).
- to lead or command as a captain.
- captain (Thesaurus)