canvas: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kan'vus), [key]
- a closely woven, heavy cloth of cotton, hemp, or linen, used for tents, sails, etc.
- a piece of this or similar material on which a painting is made.
- a painting on canvas.
- a tent, or tents collectively.
- sails collectively.
- any fabric of linen, cotton, or hemp of a coarse loose weave used as a foundation for embroidery stitches, interlining, etc.
- the floor of a boxing ring traditionally consisting of a canvas covering stretched over a mat.
- the troops under canvas.
- Naut.with set sails.
- in tents; in the field:the troops under canvas.
- canvas (Thesaurus)