calabash: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kal'u-bash"), [key]
- any of various gourds, esp. the bottle gourd, Lagenaria siceraria.
- a tropical American tree, Crescentia cujete, of the bignonia family, bearing large, gourdlike fruit.
- any of several other plants having gourdlike fruit.
- the fruit of any of these plants.
- the dried, hollowed-out shell of any of these fruits, used as a container or utensil.
- a bottle, kettle, ladle, etc., made from such a shell.
- a tobacco pipe with a large bowl made from a calabash and usually having a curved stem.
- a gourd used as a rattle, drum, etc.
- calabash (Thesaurus)