butt: Meaning and Definition of
- the end or extremity of anything, esp. the thicker, larger, or blunt end considered as a bottom, base, support, or handle, as of a log, fishing rod, or pistol.
- an end that is not used or consumed; remnant: a cigar butt.
- a lean cut of pork shoulder.
- the buttocks.
- a cigarette.
- a person or thing that is an object of wit, ridicule, sarcasm, contempt, etc.
- a target.
- (on a rifle range)
- a wall of earth located behind the targets to prevent bullets from scattering over a large area.
- butts,a wall behind which targets can be safely lowered, scored, and raised during firing practice.
- a goal; limit.
- to have an end or projection on; be adjacent to; abut.
- to position or fasten an end (of something).
- to place or join the ends (of two things) together; set end-to-end.
- to strike or push with the head or horns.
- to strike or push something or at something with the head or horns.
- to project.
- (of wheels in a gear train) to strike one another instead of meshing.
- to meddle in the affairs or intrude in the conversation of others; interfere: It was none of his concern, so he didn't butt in.
- to stop meddling in the affairs or intruding in the conversation of others: Nobody asked her opinion, so she butted out.
- a push or blow with the head or horns.
- a large cask for wine, beer, or ale.
- any cask or barrel.
- any of various units of capacity, usually considered equal to two hogsheads.
- any of several flatfishes, esp. the halibut.
- butt (Thesaurus)