bittersweet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (adj.bit"ur swēt', bit'ur swēt"n.bit'ur&sylpswēt"), [key]
- both bitter and sweet to the taste: bittersweet chocolate.
- both pleasant and painful or regretful: a bittersweet memory.
- Also calleda climbing or trailing plant, Solanum dulcamara, of the nightshade family, having small, violet, star-shaped flowers with a protruding yellow center and scarlet berries.
- Also calledany climbing plant of the genus Celastrus, bearing orange capsules opening to expose red-coated seeds, esp. C. scandens.
- pleasure mingled with pain or regret: the bittersweet of parting.
- bittersweet (Thesaurus)