Meaning of bathe
Pronunciation: (bā), [key]
— v., n. bathed, bath•ing,
- to immerse (all or part of the body) in water or some other liquid, for cleansing, refreshment, etc.
- to wet; wash.
- to moisten or suffuse with any liquid.
- to apply water or other liquid to, with a sponge, cloth, etc.: to bathe a wound.
- to wash over or against, as by the action of the sea, a river, etc.: incoming tides bathing the coral reef.
- to cover or surround: a shaft of sunlight bathing the room; a morning fog bathing the city.
- to take a bath or sunbath.
- to swim for pleasure.
- to be covered or surrounded as if with water.
- the act of bathing, esp. in the sea, a lake, or a river; a swimming bath.
- bathe (Thesaurus)