barb: Meaning and Definition of
- a point or pointed part projecting backward from a main point, as of a fishhook or arrowhead. See illus. under
- an obviously or openly unpleasant or carping remark.
- a hooked or sharp bristle.
- one of the processes attached to the rachis of a feather. See illus. under
- one of a breed of domestic pigeons, similar to the carriers or homers, having a short, broad bill.
- any of numerous, small, Old World cyprinid fishes of the genera Barbus and Puntius, often kept in aquariums.
- Usually,a small protuberance under the tongue in horses and cattle, esp. when inflamed and swollen.
- a linen covering for the throat and breast, formerly worn by women mourners and now only by some nuns.
- a beard.
- to furnish with a barb or barbs.
- one of a breed of horses raised originally in Barbary.
— n. Slang.
- barb (Thesaurus)