backfire: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bak'fīr"), [key]
— v., n. -fired, -fir•ing,
- (of an internal-combustion engine) to have a loud, premature explosion in the intake manifold.
- to bring a result opposite to that which was planned or expected: The plot backfired.
- to start a fire deliberately in order to check a forest or prairie fire by creating a barren area in advance of it.
- (in an internal-combustion engine) premature ignition of fuel in the intake manifold.
- an explosion coming out of the breech of a firearm.
- a fire started intentionally to check the advance of a forest or prairie fire.
- backfire (Thesaurus)