- 1. blowback, backfire, explosion, detonation, blowup
- usage: the backward escape of gases and unburned gunpowder after a gun is fired
- 2. backfire, explosion, detonation, blowup
- usage: a loud noise made by the explosion of fuel in the manifold or exhaust of an internal combustion engine
- 3. backfire, fire
- usage: a fire that is set intentionally in order to slow an approaching forest fire or grassfire by clearing a burned area in its path
- 4. backfire, boomerang, miscalculation, misreckoning, misestimation
- usage: a miscalculation that recoils on its maker
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. backfire, backlash, recoil, happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- usage: come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect; "Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
- 2. backfire, make noise, resound, noise
- usage: emit a loud noise as a result of undergoing a backfire; "My old car backfires all the time"
- 3. backfire, burn, fire, burn down
- usage: set a controlled fire to halt an advancing forest to prairie fire
All rights reserved.
See also: backfire (Dictionary)