Meaning of automatic
Pronunciation: (ô"tu-mat'ik), [key]
- having the capability of starting, operating, moving, etc., independently: an automatic sprinkler system; an automatic car wash.
- occurring independently of volition, as certain muscular actions; involuntary.
- done unconsciously or from force of habit; mechanical: an automatic application of the brakes.
- occurring spontaneously: automatic enthusiasm.
- (of a firearm, pistol, etc.) utilizing the recoil or part of the force of the explosive to eject the spent cartridge shell, introduce a new cartridge, cock the arm, and fire it repeatedly.
- a machine that operates automatically.
- audible (def. 2).
- an automobile equipped with automatic transmission.
- being operated or controlled by or as if by an automatic device.
- automatic (Thesaurus)